Khrymson ~ Eclipse

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to our community. ~ Please take a moment to Register and then join us in our discussions,
be they 1P gaming of the various genres, MMORPGs, Movies, Books, Anime or entirely non-related in our Off-Topic Chat. Enjoy~
Please read the thread "About Khrymson ~ Eclipse" in our News & Announcements
where you can learn more about these forums, why I've chosen to build them and the features yet to come.

I forgot my password

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 195 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:23 pm

Latest topics

» Male Miqo'te {first screenie}
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 12:11 am by Khalus

» FFXIV 2.0
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 9:54 pm by Devros

» Betacake Review
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 6:37 am by Khalus

» Steam is very addicting!
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:23 pm by Khalus

» Minerim: The Ender Scrolls V
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:53 am by Khalus

» Well screw you too Bioware...
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 9:44 am by Talos

» The Hobbit ~ An Unexpected Journey Trailer
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 12:10 am by Khalus

» Bought my new HDTV!
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 am by Khalus

» yes i am a giant nerd, deal with it!
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 7:56 pm by Talos

» One Hell of a Headshot!
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:00 am by Khalus

» The Making of Skyrim ~ .torrent found!
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:06 am by Khalus

» skyrim screenshots
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 pm by Tyr

» Dragon Fight!
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:33 am by Khalus

» 14-Day Free Trial has returned!
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:16 am by Khalus

» Skyrim Mods
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 2:44 am by Khalus

» Song of Skyrim
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:32 pm by Khalus

» Dovahkiin's Day Off…
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:33 pm by Khalus

» PC Screens!!!!
Ground Level Deck Project {before} I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:16 pm by Khalus

Shoutbox

3 posters

Ground Level Deck Project {before}

Khalus
    Khalus

Ground Level Deck Project {before} Empty Ground Level Deck Project {before}

Post by Khalus Fri May 20, 2011 7:51 pm

And here I go again with my next project, a ground level deck, just outside the sliding doors in my basement. With the amount of money I've spent on the new carpet, and even though its rather dark and would hide most the dirt my dogs or even I would track in; I'd rather avoid it as much as possible.

The reason for this project is because the majority of the location this is being built at, I can't get grass to grow there. Its been 3 years now I've attempted and when it rains it turns into a huge area of mud, and with 2 yellow labs it a pain to clean up as often as it happens. Plus having this deck will look great out there and be a nice spot my dogs to lay in the sun/shade, and I'm thinking about covering at least 1/2 of it for when it rains, I could sit out there with my labs and soak up the soothing sounds.

Or another idea is to cover it entirely and encase it with a bug screening, therefor being a great place anytime during the summer/fall and avoid bugs too. Though, that would cost a great deal more, so we'll see what kind of deals I can find to cut costs.

Anyway, onto the meat of the project, and in order to properly build this deck, the first task is to clear the area and get it as level as possible. You'll see in the images that there is a concrete lip sticking off the foundation of our house, with which I plan to anchor the main supporting boards too; and it'll also become level with doorway once I lay the actual deck boards.

Now the hardest part, and thankfully I got a majority of it complete today, was to dig out masses of dirt to at least 2-3" below that concrete lip. I wanted the 4x4 posts to stick a few inches out of the ground so when I pour the concrete I can build it up around the beam a little so any water that gets under there doesn't eat away at them. All in all, the deck will be about 4" off the ground, so its not technically a ground level deck, but its pretty dern close!

Well, enjoy the images:

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4549

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4550

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4551

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4553

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4554

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4555

Only went so far today, as there are about 300+ red bricks from my previous attempt at making it look nicer out there from a few years ago. I'll need to remove those, plus there are about 800 more I plan to remove just cause and use them elsewhere or just sell them to help fund this project!

As you can see, I moved tons of dirt today...

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4558

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4559

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4560

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4561

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4562

Khalus
    Khalus

Ground Level Deck Project {before} Empty Re: Ground Level Deck Project {before}

Post by Khalus Sat May 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Lots more progress today:

Removed those 2 huge roots
    Removed at least 150+ bricks

And the I dug out and leveled the ground to the size of the deck I'm wanting, though its possible I may make it a bit larger so there is less waste of material. My rough measurements place the deck only going out to 14'4" and I'll mostly be using 8' boards, thus having to cut off 1'6" for the 2nd half of each board is quite a loss. Shall see though, once I completely decide on a design.

Oh, it also turns out that this will actually be a ground level deck, almost underground really, now that I've got the depth about right.

Anyway, enjoy the images:

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4571

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4572

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4573

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4575

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4576
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Wed May 25, 2011 6:39 pm

So yeah, since Sun night its been pretty much nothing but rain, rain and more rain. The good thing though, is that I dug out the the proper grade, and all the water as you can see migrates to that corner as I had hoped.

Unfortunately, the rain came before I was able to get the drain in, but during a short period the rain stopped on Mon; I got out there and dug into the existing drain from our gutters, added a Y adapter, and bam, its doesn't backup into a pool anymore.

Sad thing though, if it doesn't stop raining, building this deck is going to take quite some weeks, cause it takes a good 2 days of sun to dry the ground enough to get in there and work. Ah well...maybe during all these wet days, I'll start clearing the way and building the walls for the bathroom add-on, which is my next planned project!

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4577

Ground Level Deck Project {before} 100_4579
    Kirita

Post by Kirita Thu May 26, 2011 4:21 am

Looks like a very busy summer ahead of you. I thought you were building a very dirty swimming pool!
    Ondyne
    Ondyne

Post by Ondyne Sun May 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Want to come build a deck for a pool for me next? Razz
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Mon May 30, 2011 1:13 am

LOL!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:26 pm