Khrymson ~ Eclipse

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to our community. ~ Please take a moment to Register and then join us in our discussions,
be they 1P gaming of the various genres, MMORPGs, Movies, Books, Anime or entirely non-related in our Off-Topic Chat. Enjoy~
Please read the thread "About Khrymson ~ Eclipse" in our News & Announcements
where you can learn more about these forums, why I've chosen to build them and the features yet to come.

I forgot my password

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 195 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:23 pm

Latest topics

» Male Miqo'te {first screenie}
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 12:11 am by Khalus

» FFXIV 2.0
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 9:54 pm by Devros

» Betacake Review
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 6:37 am by Khalus

» Steam is very addicting!
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:23 pm by Khalus

» Minerim: The Ender Scrolls V
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:53 am by Khalus

» Well screw you too Bioware...
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 9:44 am by Talos

» The Hobbit ~ An Unexpected Journey Trailer
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 12:10 am by Khalus

» Bought my new HDTV!
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 am by Khalus

» yes i am a giant nerd, deal with it!
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 7:56 pm by Talos

» One Hell of a Headshot!
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:00 am by Khalus

» The Making of Skyrim ~ .torrent found!
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:06 am by Khalus

» skyrim screenshots
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 pm by Tyr

» Dragon Fight!
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:33 am by Khalus

» 14-Day Free Trial has returned!
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:16 am by Khalus

» Skyrim Mods
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 2:44 am by Khalus

» Song of Skyrim
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:32 pm by Khalus

» Dovahkiin's Day Off…
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:33 pm by Khalus

» PC Screens!!!!
Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:16 pm by Khalus

Shoutbox

4 posters

Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV

Khalus
    Khalus

Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV Empty Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV

Post by Khalus Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:52 pm

I've been considering this for quite awhile, started back when I was working at Home Depot, but I ended up spending most my earnings on the renovations to our basement. And now that I'm working again and making a fairly good income, its crossed my mind to look into upgrading again.

My current 40" Proscan HDTV still works great, and I havn't had any issues with it. Its just that its only 60Hz, and I've been reading that 120Hz is much better, especially when gaming. {Not that I've been doing that a lot lately, but I will with Skyrim and other games soon enough!}

Anyway, I've been looking at this 42" 120Hz HANNSpree HDTV for awhile, I've read through every review I could find, including a few videos on YouTube and pretty much everyone is giving it at least 4-5 stars, minus a few lesser ones here and there that got a defective one...{it happens} At $399.00 thats a pretty darn good deal considering all the features it has, and very comparable to HDTVs in the $700-$900 range by larger brand names.

Link to HANNspree's Website on this HDTV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then I got to thinking, if I'm going to get a new HDTV, why only 2" larger!? After looking around a bit I found another good deal ~ 46" 120Hz Scepter HDTV for $480.00

I don't know very much about this company, but it too tends to have some fairly good reviews, but only a fraction that of the HANNspree model. {The whining noise that many are complaining about is a concern} I did read every review I could find on this one, and it sounds good, but I kinda feel as though the HANNspree would be the better value, but the larger size of the Sceptre is compelling.

Still though, since both companies are fairly unknown in the HDTV market, but in-turn are well known in the Monitor market, its a tough decision. If they both make excellent Monitors, then their HDTVs should be good too, and the reviews seem to confirm that.

Link to Sceptre's Website on this HDTV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So anyway, the plan here is to sell my 40" Proscan to my father for about $325, so getting the HANNspree would only cost me about $75, or the Sceptre for $155. Plus $45 for an additional 3 yr warranty I'm considering getting, since they're off brand and both appear to have some minor issues, then I can just deal locally with Wal-mart should anything go bad.

What do you all think, or should I just stick with what I have? Is the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz worth all this trouble in getting a new HDTV, or the slight increase in size? Lemme know your thoughts, cause I'd very much like to possibly get the ball rolling on this and have it setup before Skyrim releases, that is if its worth it!

Soten
    Soten

Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV Empty Re: Looking to buy a new LCD HDTV

Post by Soten Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:40 am

I recommend

http://www.philips.ca/c/televisions/5000-series-117cm-46-inch-class-full-hd-1080p-digital-tv-46pfl5705dv_f7/prd/en/

If the link doesn't work it's the Philips 5000 series. 46" 240Hz LCD.

If your lucky and grab one on sale like I did you can get one for around 500$
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 am

Now thats a very nice HDTV and I've always liked the Philips brand, but I'm not seeing any new ones for under $750. Wal-Mart has a refurbished one for $560, although the product number is slightly different than what you linked. They look similar though, but I'm not too sure about buying refurbished, on expensive stuff like this.

Just thought ~ Black Friday and X-Mas deals are coming soon enough, so maybe I could wait and see if anything good appears, and by then I'd have even more money saved up to get something really nice and maybe even larger {rofl} for a good deal...hrmmm

Talos
    Talos

Post by Talos Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:30 am

shopping around some since black Friday is coming up also. i got the Panasonic plasma 42" which is 500hz 1080p. i paided about 500 for it plus an extra 100 for 5 years protection from bestbuy. if u have a bestbuy by u look in to it mainly since if u have the protect anything goes wrong with it, they replace it or fix it for free.
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Yeah I have a 4yr warranty on my current HDTV from Best Buy on a clearance model, and I was just testing using an HDMI cable last night, and apparently I don't have a 1:1 pixel perfect ratio, thus no matter what I did, the text looked kinda blurry unless I set it to its native resolution. Oddly enough that was 1366*768, which is odd being this is a 1080p HDTV and even says so on the box and manual that the 1920*1080 is it max resolution, and even then still, it'll run 1920*1200 forced...LOL

Anyway, during that testing it would appear that of the 3 HDMI ports, #1 and #2 port are dead! Only the 3rd one worked. I recall and even have a receipt record of when I bought this HDTV that I had to return it for another a few days later cause the same issue happened then.

I need to call them up and have them come take a look and see if they can fix it. And honestly I don't need more than 1 port for now, but in my thinking, if they can't fix it, then they have to replace it per the warranty, and this model is no longer carried by Best Buy, heck they don't even carry Proscan anymore, thus I'd probably be able to get an equally new replacement, or see if they'll let me pay the difference on a better, larger, "new" HDTV!!! hehe

Still have about 18mo remaining on the warranty...
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:03 pm

BTW Talos, how does Plasma work out when used as a PC monitor? I thought I read they're not good for it, and its better to stick with LCD, LED...
    Talos
    Talos

Post by Talos Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:22 pm

eh, i actually have a 25' LED monitor 1080p for the computer, i have the PC hookup to put music via the 7.1 speaker system i rarely use the TV unless we are watching something awesome or just shits and giggles since it is bad for ther Plasma. great for blue ray tho
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Ahh, I gotcha, so then yeah Plasma is bad for being used as a monitor as I expected. No matter, as I do tend to like LCD anyway.

Trying to decided if I should call Best Buy now, or wait until closer to Black Friday to get this TV fixed or more so replaced. I'm hoping more on getting it replaced, but I dunno how easy it is for them to fix dead HDMI ports. Sounds like something they'd need to take into a shop and disassemble and replace to fix, so hopefully it'd be better to just give me anew HDTV instead.
    Talos
    Talos

Post by Talos Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:29 pm

it depends,
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Called Best Buy, got hung up on 3 times, so I decided to just go up there{only 2miles} and talk with them. Turns out I just need to call an 800 number and have a technician come to my house and see if it can be fixed here. If not they have to take it with them for up to 3 weeks before I'd get it back. {Thats just absurd, and I won't let that happen...} This is my only monitor for my PC, as I've given away or trashed all the rest. {old CRTs that barely worked anymore}

So I asked about a possible swap for an equal HDTV, or let me pay the difference on a newer, better one. They said that to do that, I'd have to have the TV sent out for repairs 4 times for the same issue. So in other words be without the HDTV for as much as 3 months. Thats just ridiculous!

I also asked what the difference would be if I was able to convince a manager someday about an even swap, and they said at most the $70 I paid for the warranty. Again, totally absurd...this HDTV works excellent in every way except the 2 HDMI ports that don't work and they'd only give $70 trade for it!!! I should get in the least 80% of its value if not the whole 100%. Yes its a discontinued brand at Best Buy, but its still for sale at many other places, including the original manufacturer, and still goes for $500+ ....good grief!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After returning home I called the 800 # and have a technician coming out sometime Mon afternoon. Only thing that sucks is that I'll have to do some extensive cleaning soon, cause I've kinda let things go a bit with my new job and being a bit tired of late...ah well, needed it anyway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To make this story even better, before I left Best Buy, I decided to go back to their HDTV section and check out some options. {I already know what they had and have been doing some extensive research on HDTVs of late, but I was bored and thought, lets see what happens} So I was approached by an employee and asked if I needed help, and gave them the whole schpeel that I use my HDTV as a PC monitor primarily, and that I'm in the market for a larger one, with a better native resolution and 1:1 pixel ratio and other stuff.

{Well sir, these are all the latest models and they do everything you mentioned!}

I asked if they had any documentation I could read on their different models, other than the price tag and dimensions they have displayed.

{Like I said sir these are the latest models and they do everything you just requested.}

Again, so you have no documentation on what features each TV has. They're not all the same, and I'm specifically looking for 1:1 pixel ratio, and I want a 1920*1080 native resolution. My current HDTV said it was that but turns out its only 1366*768 native when I use an HDMI cable on it. I want to see exactly what each of these models have and compare them.

{Sir, thats all we have listed, if I wanted to find out more info, I'd have to call the manufacturer to get an extensive list. Even if you were to visit their website, none of that is listed, I know that for a fact!}

Well, you know I was just looking at most of these TVs before I came up here, and the extensive details I requested "are" listed on the manufacturer's website. The guy looked at me all flabbergasted like. Granted this was a young guy, maybe 22 at most, which is astounding he wouldn't know this.

I just walked away after that...

I swear, where do they get these people that think they know what they're talking about. And if that BS works on the average consumer...holy crap!
    Touchi

Post by Touchi Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:39 pm

think lcd is a bit outdated nowadays since the introduction of new LED TVs. so finding good bargain for LCD should be easy, at least in my area LCD prices are way down than last year.
    i tried to trade in my 46" sony bravia V series for a newer LED type that supports 3D few weeks ago, and the store would only price it at about USD1000. so i said to myself "!@#$ this, i'll just use my old LCD TV till it breaks, who cares about 3D anyway, bought it only less than 2 years ago for USD4000"

so i assume finding good LCD with affordable prices should be easier now, 2nd hand one maybe? some ppl would trade in their less than a year old TV for the newest tech TV at ridiculous price, just be patient and shop around, you'd surprise yourself.

btw i also have a 42" sharp LCD and i tested it FFXIII, and comparing the crispness of the display with the sony is just world's apart. so definitely not going to recommend sharp for you.

and yeah i've never heard of "hannspree" and "scepter". philips is a respectable brand for electronics but i doubt it for TV, my best bet would be finding "samsung" tvs, close competition with sony but at much lower price.

if you insist between hannspree and scepter, the latter one looks much better w/ higher contrast ratio.
    Touchi

Post by Touchi Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 pm

ewww don't go for plasma...
    Touchi

Post by Touchi Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:52 pm

lol khal, i had about the same experience with the tv shop assistants, mostly they just pause and stare blankly when i asked about technical stuffs, and start explaining what i already know all over again.

that goes for all the stores in my area. so usually i don't even bother to ask, and research from the internet before i went shopping.

some of these ppl don't even have lcd tv let alone know anything about the difference between each models display quality. well, i assume if you're smart enough to know all about the technical stuffs, you won't be working as a mere shop assistant would you? =p
    Talos
    Talos

Post by Talos Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:36 am

whats wrong with plasma? i love mine. super sexy it is
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:14 am

Just thought of something. I'd imagine that some of the best 'Black Friday' deals will be posted in the Sunday Newspaper Ads, and we get those in 5 days early or at least the night before for the daily paper.

I suppose finding a good HDTV sale should be simple then, since I get quite the heads up earlier than most. Course I'm hoping there will be some even better online only deals to watch for too.

I'm in the mindset that either my HDTV is going to get fixed here on my desk this Mon, or they'll want to ship it out for repairs for 2-3 weeks, and yeah I won't agree to that...its absurd! And if it doesn't get fixed, hopefully my dad won't mind since even he doesn't care about Bluray either or have any HDMI devices to hook up. Guess I should begin getting him more interested in buying my HDTV so I can more easily afford a better one in late Nov.
    Touchi

Post by Touchi Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:27 pm

plasma is blurry if your eyes already got used to look at LCD or even LED.

btw i previewed and play few mins of ffxiii @ my friend's place few days ago in 3D... my impression could be described in 1 word "WOW" (not that WoW).
    sparks from metal clashings goes all the way to where your ears at!!! not to mention the summons!!!

so khal if you could summon some extra dough from your delivery job and saved enough, get the 3D TV!!!
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:43 pm

FFXIII or did you mean FFXIV in 3D?

I dunno if I'm on-board with 3D yet. I've seen it demoed a few times at stores, and it was interesting, but I dunno how well I'd handle it in the long run with my migraines. I've yet to see a 3D movie to see if I could stand it for a period of time, but I also don't wanna pay the $18 to find out...LOL

After looking through tons of HDTVs this week, I'd like to get an LED if I can find one for under $700, no luck yet but maybe during Black Friday. For now though, I'm looking into this Philips 46" 240Hz LCD that Soten recommended. Its a slightly different model, but appears to have nearly the same specs, and is $200 cheaper.

I most definitely want the 1920*1080 native resolution, and the 1:1 pixel ratio or Pixel Precise HD as Philips calls it. And I like the 1ms response time, my current Proscan is 8ms. What I linked is of the 5000 series, but its not listed on Philips website, its odd, but no matter where its for sale its getting an overwhelming 5-star review.

So right now, this is my primary choice, but I gotta sell my current one to help fund this or whatever else is avail during Black Friday week! I was originally only looking to spend less than $100 for this upgrade, but after learning a few things, I might as well invest a little more in something really nice!
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 am

Well, there is a chance I'll be getting the one I posted above sooner than I thought. Our papers were 3 1/2 hours late tonight so many of my co-workers and I got talking, and we ended up talking about HDTVs and one of them is looking for an HDTV, and I mentioned mine. He's gonna come over sometime in the next few days and take a look at it.

I said $350 at first, and he asked to go a little lower since you can get new HDTVs of similar quality around $400, like what I posted in the OP, so I dropped it too $300 and he agreed to that if its what he's looking for and doesn't get a better deal from a friend with a discount.

I'm still looking, but for the price, and great features, I like this one the best Philips 46" 240Hz. There are a few others that look nice, but are around $650-$750, and I don't know if I wanna go that high, and they seem to be higher because of their brand, like Samsung...etc!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hey Soten, if you read this soon, is this Philips with a different model number, like the one you have?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:57 am

Ah never mind Soten, I found the specs on Philips' website. Apparently this model has been placed on clearance due to it being the older 5000 series, now that they have the 7000 series out now. It has the specs I was looking for, with 1920*1080 native for PC that I wanted confirmed:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/46pfl5505d_f7/46pfl5505d_f7_pss_aen.pdf#search=Specifications

Other than that, for the price, its got some damned nice specs and features compared to mine!
    Khalus
    Khalus

Post by Khalus Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:18 am

What do ya all think about this HDTV, by LG?

I'm kinda having 2nd thoughts on that Philips, and doing research again...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:20 pm